12.27.2009

Noah, how much for the ark?

I dropped Duff off at school this morning so he can join his team on their trip to Orlando for a Christmas tournament. Since the head coach is already in Florida, Duff is basically in charge of getting 14 college-age boys to Florida alive. Luckily it is a non-stop flight...

Anyway, I returned home and decided that today would be the perfect day to hang those pictures that I framed ages ago. Alas, it was not to be. I trotted down to the basement to get nails and a hammer when I found this:


Apparently two days of rain combined with 20 inches of snow melt = a flood in the O'Currents basement (we've had plenty of rain before with no problems--I have no idea why this would happen now...when Duff is gone...). The water is actually coming up through small cracks in the basement floor. This is the area of the basement floor that has a patch on it. The patch now gooshes when you step on it (nice!).

The below pictures show a close up of the (shop-vacced) puddle as well as how much water the carpets have soaked up.


These pictures aren't even that bad. I didn't remember to grab my camera until I was emptying out the first shop-vac tub full of water into the back yard. Yes, that's right. This is what it looked like with about 10 gallons of water soaked up by the shop-vac. That lighter gray (dry-ish) area over by where you see the long shop-vac hose--yeah, that was all under about a 1/4 inch of water. It was bad...

Now our plans for finishing the basement and reusing those carpets all have to be thrown out. Some of the tools that were on the floor there (I moved them prior to the pictures) may have to be thrown out, too. Overall its a big mess. :(

No comments: